Tuesday 6 September 2011

Painter of Moonlight and a walk by the river.

Another day I had free I thought I would go to the Mercier Gallery in Harrogate to see an exhibition by Atkinson Grimshaw. He was a Victorian painter born I believe in Leeds. He is a painter I hadn’t heard of before but having looked him up on the internet thought he would be well worth a visit.

This day it was raining so seemed the ideal day to go to a gallery. To get there I had to go to an area of Harrogate I hadn't been to for years, around the pump rooms and the valley gardens.

IMGP1909 

IMGP1911

All seemed even posher than I remembered and if it hadn't been for the rain could have been some where much warmer sitting out eating yer tea.

The exhibition itself was incredible the feeling of light in his paintings smacked you in the face. The pictures I had seen on internet just didn’t do them justice. There was also an exhibition of photo’s by Liza Dracup called Chasing the Gloaming, which are images made in response to Grimshaws. I enjoyed both these exhibitions immensely.

The-Old-Hall-Under-Moonlight

old hall under moonlight Atkinson Grimshaw

It was still raining when I left the gallery so on my way back to the car I found myself in various shops, so had to do some shopping cos it would be rude not too.

Not so long before I had been for a short walk by the river and saw there were some impressive reflections and had thought they could make some nice photos. That evening the rain had stopped so decided to return there with a camera this time instead of the battery guzzling excuse of a compact. I also took a tripod as well but found there was a light breeze. Not much but enough to cause ripples and the grass and wild flowers to move. All though I could get what I was after still took some photos. 

IMGP1917

IMGP1933

IMGP1942IMGP1947

To take photos I have to take off my glasses this time I put them in my camera bag which I left open each time I moved further along the bank. I finished and put my camera away and walked carrying my semi folded tripod to the car park. I dumped the gear in the boot then realised my glasses were in the bag. Nooooo they had fallen out so had to back track along the river bank and was very lucky to find them in the long grass. This was the first stage of me taking on the role of Granny. I decided to buy a cord to hang my glasses around my neck.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Annie - loosing yer glasses is not a sign of being a Granny - its normal. I agree it is about time you had them on a string

    ReplyDelete