Thursday 18 August 2011

What I did on my holidays 2011 Whitby.

My future son in-law works in Whitby and my daughter had suggested that one day I could get a lift with him to Whitby and then get a train back. So on the Thursday evening I went over there and stayed over  night so I was up the same time as them. 

Our first stop was dropping Kat of at work and then we went to Costa coffee and Steve bought me a coffee. This was to kill a little time as Steve had to call at a wholesalers on the way this morning.

Had a very pleasant journey over there, stopping once at a view point. I did take some photos but none I liked, its a breath taking view but hard to get a photo that expresses it. A panorama might have worked but I didn’t pull it off.

Steve is the manager at Graverley’s  fish restaurant in Whitby so that's were my day started from along with a coffee I admired the incredible views. Must have have the some of the best views in Whitby. The headland here looks especially when the sun is rising or setting.

IMGP1262c_b_a_

IMGP1264

After my coffee I set off for a walk around after been told to ring if I wanted some lunch. First off I went upwards up the Khyber Pass and up the steps so I was virtually above the restaurant.

IMGP1272b_d_c_a_ 

Again great views. Some young sea gulls been fed too total oblivious to all the humans around them. IMGP1277

Down again and a walk along the pier. As I have a fear of deep water I stayed close to the centre of the pier when there was water close and didn't even attempt to go to the end. Not many people about here just yet and most people that did come were a lot braver than me and went further along than I did.

IMGP1334

IMGP1346

Time now to gird my loins and tackle the 199 steps up to the Abbey over in the old town at the other side of the harbour. There is the choice of the steps or the Donkey Slope up to the top.

IMGP1394bwIMGP1412

Its well worth the climb up there. First arriving at the Saxon Church of St Mary.

IMGP1435

Instead of carrying on to the Abbey I wandered around the other side of the church to the cliff top a cracking view from there too.

The views from the cliffs

Next I went to have a look around the Abbey this is now an English Heritage site. I do realise these ruins do take a lot of maintenance but I did think it was expensive for what is there. Still an interesting place lots of atmosphere.

IMGP1460  IMGP1543IMGP1532IMGP1528

Set of back down to the old town

IMGP1552

great views out to sea.

IMGP1564

One of the many ginnels.

By this time I was getting hungry and rang Steve to tell him I was going to go for lunch. When I arrived I was made very welcome and seated at a table looking out at the harbour and was soon tucking into a fabulous meal. I have no idea what it was called but it looked fantastic, my only regret was that I didn't take a photo of it. The whole thing was served on a grey slate. A selection of various fish and seafood. I don't know much about fish and its a few weeks ago now so I hope Steve will forgive me if I get the types of fish wrong. There was Halibut some cod I think, scallops, Big prawns and deep fried battered whitebait, this was served in a miniature deep fryer basket. I really enjoyed the whole meal. After that I had a black forest cheesecake which was also delicious.  The waiting staff were excellent too and very friendly. I would recommend Graveley’s any time and not just because of family connections. Thanks Steve for one of the best meals I have had in a long time. While eating I was able to watch the tide come in.

IMGP1579IMGP1585on the way to the Station

By this time it was time to set off to the station. The quickest way I think would have been a bus to Scarborough then train to York. But I decided on the more picturesque route and took a train across country to Middlesbrough then on to York. Part of this journey is part of the north yorks moors railway when the steam trains run to Whitby but if you get off at Grosmont to get steam train to Pickering. I love train journeys as its easy to relax perhaps  listen to music and look at the scenery. All in all another good day out.

See all photos from this Album here

No comments:

Post a Comment