Tuesday 2 August 2011

What I did on my holidays 2011 day 1 Leeds.

On Monday I took my Mum into respite for a week and although I felt guilty leaving her I was determined to make the most of my week.

As I arrived in Wetherby  a bus to Leeds was in although I saw its was the one that went “around the houses” to get there. Undeterred I got on the Bus and settled back relaxing to listen to my Audio book. Although the journey was enjoyable my choice of bus turned out to be a mistake as be made clear later. So now for a wander about lunch and a look see.

_IGP0956_IGP0969

A was told years ago when I was a kid that if a virgin walked past these lions they would roar. I have never heard them!

_IGP0959_IGP0975

Outside the Art Gallery people playing on the giant chess boards. (wanted to say playing in the Sunshine but the day was dry at least)

The main reason for my visit this time was to look at the Damian Hirst exhibition at the Art Gallery it is part of the “Artist Rooms” exhibitions that are doing the rounds at the moment. I have never been sure about his work all though some I do like its the using dead animals and pulled apart butterflies I’m not too sure of. Never having seen any of them in the flesh I thought I would at least give it a look and perhaps I might change my mind.

hirst_flock 

This was one of the exhibits “Away from the flock” a dead lamb in a tank with formaldehyde.

Even less sure now.

Its only a few months since my last visit so I only went in the rooms that had changed since the last time, the idea was I would move on to what had been the The Civic Theatre when I was at art collage a few (well a lot) years ago. The theatre is now the Leeds City Museum .

When I was a student Jacob Kramer Collage had buildings at either side of the theatre. We had to get  from the main building to the other via a passage that ran back stage of the theatre. As I hadn't been in that area of Leeds for at least 20 years I was very interested to see how it had changed, I also like museums. I was gob smacked to see how different every thing looked. There was still an Art collage at one side of the theatre not sure about the other though. Unfortunately the museum was closed. Apparently a lot of this type of places do close Mondays for cleaning.

_IGP0979

the view from the Museum

_IGP0993

The civic Hall

_IGP0990

and a rather nice sculpture.

After satisfying  my curiosity I decided to head back and get a bus, didn't have to wait long for a bus. This time it was a direct bus great I thought home sooner. Here my mistake showed when I handed over my return ticket a different bus company, hay hum had to pay again. No matter only hiccup in a good day out.

No comments:

Post a Comment