Saturday 8 September 2012

Head in the clouds

One of the places I wanted to see when I went away recently was Ribblehead viaduct. Its the longest and most famous viaduct on the Settle to Carlisle railway. The first time I went there the weather was great but only stopped at viewing point away from it and another layby a bit nearer to it. Don’t know why we decided to drive on instead of going up to it. So a couple of days later we went back this time the weather wasn’t so good just a bit cloudy, so we walked right up to it. The cloud was fairly low as so the view through the arches was blocked about half way down. Again we went back to the car. Yesterday we went back again, no longer stay in that area but drove up for the day. As the weather at home was glorious had high hopes of getting a good shot through the arches. We had decided that what ever the weather we would at least walk up the path at the side and if it was good walk a good way along that route.

  Well we arrived around lunch time and surprise surprise the cloud was down and the viaduct was just visible through the cloud. So went set off towards the bridge in the damp of the cloud and walked up the steep steps up the slope. Looking back the mist was been blown around the arches. That would make a good photo I thought but as I was getting left behind and was loath to put bag down and take camera out. So I thought I’ll get on the way back, famous last words.

As we moved on and reached the top of the slope the cloud got lower and lower and so we decided to set of back to the car as didn’t seem much point carrying on with nothing to see.

We did see an old building at the side of the path just over a wall so we did go see that and I took some photos. Here’s my impression of the abandoned building.

 IMGP3929

1 comment:

  1. Aye I've learnt that lesson, you need to take the photo then as later it will not be there. Nice work on old cabin.

    ReplyDelete