Tuesday 16 February 2010

Old for New

A few years ago I restored an old photo of my granddad and as I was fairly new to Photoshop I was chuffed with the result.  The photo was one of three that were found when we cleared my Granddad’s house out. They were on a card type material and were in frames at the back of some religious pictures such as the “sacred heart” and pictures of the Virgin Mary. They nearly went straight on the fire but the frames were good so I pulled them to bits. All three were bigger than A3 size and so had to scan in three pieces and then stitch together.

pop redo

Looking at it again now I can see joins and the oxidizing is still there so going to redo it soon and have a crack at the other two which are of my great grand parents.

Old family photos are strange this one struck me because I never knew him at 18 which was roughly his age here but when I first saw his face I saw my son looking out at me. Don't know why that should surprise  me as they share the same gene pool.

What brought this back to mind was talking to a friend who was telling me he had an old photo of his Mum Dad and brothers and sisters (he’s not on it as he wasn't born) Anyway it is the only one he has of his Dad who died about four years after this picture was taken. He told me it was very badly damaged. So I heard myself saying “I’ll repair it for you “. I didn't realise how bad it was but hey will keep me out of mischief for a while.

orig

This is the photo I have to work on. I’ll post again with the results in a day or two.

2 comments:

  1. You have your work cut out there Annie - but you do have the skills so I look forward to seeing the restored image - it will take time and patience and all you skills I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh, good luck Annie, what a lovely project!! We have some old photos of the family and my nephews and my brother and my younger sister are all there, in the same way as your son. It is so startling when you first see it because the resemblence is so strong, like an exact replica or the real genuine person in their ancestors clothes and photos!! Weird but fascinating :) Looking forward to seeing the final results Annie, good luck ;)) x

    ReplyDelete