Friday 20 August 2010

What I did on my Holidays ……….. 4

Part of the reason I was staying at my Daughter’s in York was to look after the house. Kat had asked me to put the wheelie bin out at side of the road as they only come once a fortnight. Easy you may think. But as I went home on the Thursday night I forgot and by the time I got back on Friday morn it was too late. So the first chance I got I decided to take the rubbish to the tip. So I took the bags from the wheelie bin and shoved them in the boot of my car. A bit whiffy and the smell hung around for days.Any way the only dump I knew the way too was in Thorp Arch so that's where I headed.

The job been Jobbed I set of back and realising I had time to spared stopped in the near by Village of Walton to look at the church somewhere I had passed hundreds of times. It didn't seem to be open but I had a wander around outside.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Then I stopped again at Bilton to see church too. I just took some photos unfortunately didn't find out anything about the place.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA 

As I had been to the Castle Museum recently and saw the displays of civil war stuff and read little bits I thought i might do a couple of mile detour to the Battle of Marston moor monument another place I pass often. The battleground is all farm land now and it seems strange to think of the hundreds that died that day 2nd July 1644 and to know people who we were told about at school fought here. Oliver Cromwell routed Prince Rupert and the royalists annihilated the defeated royalist infantry. I always sided with the Royalists don’t know why guess they always looked more romantic and Cromwell the hard killjoy. A few pics I took of the “battle field”.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA 

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

No comments:

Post a Comment